Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Shorts Weather







Now that the weather is getting warmer around here I have been thinking about what types of items I am going to sew the girls. There are summer dresses, tank tops, skirts, and shorts floating around in my head and this past week I knew I just needed to get started on something. It will be HOT before we know it and I want to be ready.

Originally, when I fished these fabrics out of remnant bins at my local fabric stores, I had another garment in mind. I though the
Oliver + S Hopscotch Dress would look darling in the polka dot and the aqua blue would be a perfect match for the neck binding. Once I got home I realized that I had nowhere near enough fabric for the dress and I would be stretching it with the short sleeve shirt version. I thought about what other patterns I had wanted to make and remembered the Lil Blue Boo Perfect Shorts.

Now, I love Ashely, her blog and all of the Lil Blue Boo patterns but I am still a little weary of sewing with knits. I am lucky enough to have a serger and have not had an extra difficult time sewing with them but I am still always a little nervous.

These shorts were so easy to sew it is almost embarrassing to say that I was worried. I had these cut out and finished in less than 30 minutes for each pair. There are a total of 5 pieces for these shorts and only 7 seams to sew. I cut a 24 month/2T out for my daughter M who is 22 months old and a 3T for my daughter A who is 3 years old. Both of these shorts fit the girls great and will be a staple around our house for the summer. I still have some of this fabric left over so I might be making these as gifts for a couple of little girls I know.















Cheers,


Erin

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I just love that fun fabric! Great job on the cute shorts! Yay for shorts weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those dots! Knits still make me nervous too, but I'm always happy when I give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving the bright polka dots! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. reminds me of the good ol' days! nice job!

    ReplyDelete