Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Whitney Dress from Grits & Giggles – Pattern Review

I was SO excited when Jenilyn of Grits & Giggles asked me to test her newest pattern.  I ran across Jenilyn’s blog over a year ago and have been reading it ever since, you know us South Carolina girls have to stick together!  Other than the SC connection I could connect with her in other ways: she is a working Mom, has a super cute little girl and is a crafter. 

Jenilyn had me test the Whitney Dress and let me tell you it is darling.  There are so many options that it is like getting 4 patterns for one price.  You can choose to make it with a halter strap or shoulder tie straps and have the option for a ruffle or fabric band along the bottom.  I chose to go with the shoulder tie straps and fabric band so that A can wear it to school and it would be easy for her to play in. 


This dress is made with elastic across the chest for a comfortable fit that stays in place for ANY type of play or movement.  I used the pink and white polka dot for the main part of the fabric and the pink and white damask for the top casing, straps and bottom band.  You could use 2 or 3 contrasting fabrics for a funkier look or use some of your scraps for the band, casing and straps. 



This dress would be a great beginner project for someone new to sewing and is an easy project to whip up for an intermediate or advanced sewer.  It took me about an hour from start to finish and that includes cutting.  I have a serger but decided to just pink the seams because I didn’t have the right colored thread on my machine.  I plan on making several of these for the summer months because they are so cute, comfortable and easy to make. 

Please go check out Jenilyn’s blog and watch for the Whitney dress in her Etsy shop soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment