Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dancing Princess


I bought the fabric for this outfit over a year ago and have been thinking about it ever since.  This pink princess fabric made its way into my stash when I was shopping with A at Wal-mart and she made it known that she could not live without it.  I bought just a yard because I was not sure what I was going to do with it.  I had visions of a peasant dress or just a simple peasant top but was not sold on either idea.  I knew wanted to make her something fun but also something she could wear to school so she could enjoy it any day of the week. 


I decided on the Swingset Skirt from Oliver + S after making one earlier and loving it.  It has just the right amount of swing to it and it is so easy to make.  I cut the main fabric like normal but decided to hold off on fully lining the skirt.  It gets very hot here in South Carolina during the summer and I wanted to make this skirt nice and light.  Because the lining for the skirt is also what makes the waistband I decided to cut the top 4 inches of the lining fabric in white batiste and sew it up like normal.  Instead of hemming the bottom of the lining I serged the bottom and sides before sewing it together and will just leave it as is.  The exposed ends are enclosed in the waistband so there is no reason to worry about fraying. 


The top is just a purchased tank top with a scrap of the princess fabric cut out in a bib shape.  I inserted some white ric rac around the outside of the bib for an extra little frill and just ran a satin stitch over the top. 


A was so excited when I finished this outfit and she made sure ask about wearing it to school the next day.  Well, A wore her outfit to school yesterday and it was a big hit.  The outfit came home in one piece but was well loved with dirt, grass and cookie stains.  I have to go and do some stain pre-treating but hopefully it will be as good as new and I can take some pictures of her actually wearing it!




Cheers,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment