Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Craft Fail

Craft Fail

Well, I got a few things finished over the weekend but nothing to shout from the roof about.  Both of the girls Bubble Easter Dresses are finished and with help from the ladies on the Oliver + S forums I decided to go with a grey grosgrain ribbon and make a thread chain/belt loop for each of the sides.  This will allow me to take off or change the ribbon if I want to because it will not be permanently attached.  I promise to show pictures of the finished dresses being worn by the girls after Easter.

Now back to my craft fail.  I had big plans to make a skirt from an online tutorial that I found a while back.  I wanted to use a grey sheet that I picked up so I could somewhat match the girls for Easter but also have something to add to my wardrobe for the summer. 

There were several problems with this skirt:
  1. I measured myself back in August when I first planned to make this skirt and then cut the fabric out to match said measurements.  I am pretty sure that the August measurements are not correct now.
  2. I measured so that the waistband of the skirt is on my hips not at my waist; this means that the gathered portion of the skirt starts right at my widest point making me look HUGE.  Also, because the skirt is so low it makes my top half look much longer than it already is. 

I worked on the skirt for about an hour last night to get it finished up and when I tried it on I almost cried.  I decided to take it off and just put it aside for a while.  I knew something was wrong but could not put my finger on what needed to be changed.  Thinking about it overnight helped me and I figured out what I need to do to fix it.  The waistband should really be up at my natural waist instead of low on my hips.  If I take the waistband off and measure so that it fits at my natural waist it will sit better and not flare out at such an awkward place.  I might have to take a little in on the sides because I am shortening the waistband but it should be a pretty easy fix once all of those stitches are picked out.  The good news is that I put my first invisible zipper in and it was pretty painless. 

Here’s to a week of much sewing and less undoing!


Project List for the Week

Fix Easter Skirt
Pattern Review – I just need to write this up, the garment is already sewn up
T-Shirt Dress – For A 3T & M 24m – Tula Pink Prince Charming
Clever Charlotte Phoebe Flutter Blouse – for A 2/3T – Lisette Lawn FabricOliver + S Class Picnic Tunic – for A 3T – Lisette Sateen


Cheers,

Erin

1 comment:

  1. Craft fails make me sad....but I am glad you made it work...can't wait to see your outfits!

    ReplyDelete