Ok, so I dropped the ball a little bit at the end of KCWC but only in the blogging department.During the weekend I worked on a couple different tops for the girls and at the end came out with several pieces for each girl and a good start on their summer wardrobe.This is the first year that I have participated in KCWC and I loved it.There was so much motivation from the flickr pool, Meg’s blog as well as all of the other bloggers that participated and posted about it.I am still sorting through the flickr pool and looking for pictures that I want to save for future sewing ideas.
Since I didn’t do any blogging over the weekend I am going to do a quick wrap up of what I worked on for the last couple of days of KCWC.
I worked on the second part of M’s birthday outfit.I used the wonderful Oliver + S Swing set Tunic and cut the Children at Play parade fabric so it looks like they are parading around the hem of the tunic.I am super excited about how this turned out and it looks perfect with the balloon shorts.The only thing I am missing is the buttons for the back.I picked up some small flower buttons last weekend but I am worried that they are too small so I might add some covered buttons instead.
On Saturday I looked at everything I had cut out and was not too excited about sewing anything in the pile.I had an old shirt of mine that no longer fit and decided I would use the Toddler Swing Tank pattern from Kelli at True Bias.Because I used a knit that would stretch I cut the back as one piece and because A is at least a 3T for length I added about 2” to the bottom.I positioned the top just right so I could save the original neckline and used some of the scraps to make bais binding for the arm openings.Because jersey does not fray I decided to leave the hem unfinished and help to preserve the length of the top.This was a pretty quick project that I was able to finish in about 1.5 hours from start to finish.This is something that A can wear to preschool and I don’t have to worry about her getting paint all over it.
I had the Class Picnic tunic cut out for over a month and finally finished it this weekend.The Lisette sateen is so soft and there was only a little bit of shredding while I was sewing it.There are no exposed seams on the neck or bodice of this shirt which makes for no scratchy edges for my girls.I added about 5” to the length of the top and my initial thought was it would be a tunic.After I finished and tried it on A it ended up being more of a dress and I am still very happy about it.She can wear it now as a dress and then when the fall hits she can pair it with leggings or jeans for a layered look.With the way she is shooting up it might not fit as a dress long tough.I have a couple of store bought play dresses in 3T and they are already becoming too short for her to wear without something underneath.
We have a special joint birthday party that the girls and I will be attending this weekend for two little girls that live in our cul-de-sac.They are sisters and one of them is the same age as M.
The theme of this party is going to be knights and princesses so I thought it would be fun to add to their dress up box. For my next project I am in the process of making them some princess dresses with cotton fabrics.I picked up some white, light blue and purple cotton fabric over the weekend as well as some chiffon for an overskirt on each dress.I am about half way through the first dress but will try and take some pictures while constructing the second dress so you can see how I did it.
Project List for the Week
Purple Princess Dress – 3T – For birthday girl S
Blue Princess Dress – 6 – For birthday girl K
Finish button holes and buttons on Swing set Tunic – For M 2T
Ice Cream Top – For A 3T – Animal Print
Cotton Knit Shorts – For A – Basic solid colors (white, black, navy) for under shorts